Ian Brown

What and when did you study at INSEAD?

In 2010, when I was working at Imperial College London, I was approached by INSEAD to be an Entrepreneur in Residence (EiR), prior to that I attended the International Executive Programme in Fontainebleau in 2000 (IEP00).

How did INSEAD transform your life?

Back in 2000, I had just completed a massive four-year acquisition project in Gothenburg, followed by the acquisition integration project to embed the new company into the larger corporate, in Milan, Barcelona and New York, and maximise the value of the acquisition. When I arrived at INSEAD, I found myself in a group of peers, where I learned a massive amount from the lectures, but also from the interaction with my peers from many different countries. It was an amazing experience.

How did you end up in this part of the world?

I am originally from Melbourne. I fell in love with Western Australia when I visited in the 1980s, and later in 1992, I met my wife – a Western Australian who was living in Sydney at the time – and in 1997 we moved to Europe (we lived in Gothenburg, then Milan, then London), and when we decided to move back to Australia we decided to move to Western Australia.

Have you got any hidden talents?

I have extensive board experience, significant skills and knowledge in innovation, corporate venture client implementation and business growth strategic thinking, and risk management.