Volunteer Interview Series – week 2

This week our Volunteer Interview Series features Miranda Chen TIEMBA’19, mentor and co-organisor of our mentorship programmes. Amongst other things, read what advice she has for alumni thinking about volunteering and her ideas for supporting members facing significant challenges during the pandemic.

Current job title and company: General Manager Business Development, Asia Pacific; TUV Rheinland Singapore Pte Ltd

NAA Singapore volunteering position: Mentor and co-organisor for NAA Singapore’s mentorship programmes .

Length you have been volunteering for: 1 year

Reason for volunteering: To stay in touch with alumni, continue to develop new skills and knowledge, and make a contribution to the community.

Key takeaways after graduating from INSEAD: Learning is a lifelong journey. I’ve also had the invaluable opportunity to make good, lifetime friends and meet and be inspired by great women from all over the world.

How are you adapting to the pandemic? I've had to be more innovative, creative and flexible, especially at work.

Ideas on how we can support fellow alumni facing significant challenges during the pandemic? Collect feedback from fellow alumni about their concerns and topics of interest, and then organise online seminars on the related topics.

What do you like about your job? I’m working in an international testing, inspection and certification company. I get to develop new business according to customers’ needs and interact and liaise with different colleagues globally each day.

Advice to members thinking about volunteering? Volunteering is a good way to stay in touch with INSEAD alumni, make new friends, and it doesn’t require you to retire.

Interesting fact about yourself: I arrived in Singapore alone when I was 18 years old. I’m a resilient learner: from Polytechnic (Ngee Ann Poly) to the world’s renowned business school (INSEAD & Tsinghua); from Assistant Engineer to General Manager; from Singapore to Greater China and Asia Pacific.

What book are you reading at the moment and why? I’m reading A WOMAN MAKES A PLAN by Maye Musk. She writes “You can’t control everything that happens, but you can live a happier, healthier and fun-filled life at any age. All you have to do is make a plan!” I am super inspired by Maye Musk. I think I could achieve more in the future as long as I keep on learning new things and staying positive.