Greetings INSEAD Sustainability drivers, investors and promoters.
We have a lot going on to advance social impact and climate action!
- Launches our self-nomination process for INDEVOR 2023 Executive Committee Elections seeking candidates for three specific roles to advance awareness building, advocacy and action for social and environmental impact.
- Invites you to join the Community Action Challenge’s Start Now October initiative to reduce your carbon polluting actions at work and home.
- Invites students to INDEVOR week webinar series on jobs in social impact
- Reminds you to get your tickets to NAA USA’s Sustainable Resilience forum – November 9-11th at the San Francisco hub.
- Provides take aways from our Sept 26th expert alumni panel on “Investment and Action to Address Global Food Crisis,” with comments from more expert alums in the audience.
1. INDEVOR EXCO Election: Self Nominations open Oct 1 – Nov. 15, 2023
ATTENTION ALL INDEVOR GLOBAL IMPACT NETWORK ALUMS! We have three openings for 3-year terms on our Executive Committee (ExCo) beginning January 2024 and are thrilled to open the nomination process October 1st. The ExCo is INDEVOR’s governing body with a total of 9 members from around the world, including several leaders of the Community Impact Challenge initiative, INDEVOR serves as host Global Club. We meet for 1 hour every two months and share the load leading events, including webinars and an annual Alumni Sustainability Summit.
To self-nominate, please fill out this form by November 15th. Our selection committee will review nominations and propose a slate of candidates for e-voting the week of December 4th. We are specifically looking to fill three roles:
- INSEAD Climate Journey Liaison: We need someone familiar with INSEAD’s carbon footprint reduction commitments who is knowledgeable and curious about best practices in climate action. This role will keep INDEVOR updated on progress and alert to places that alumni voices can be helpful encouragers of the journey. INDEVOR plans to weave INSEAD climate milestones across its learning and advocacy agenda.
- NAA/GC Sustainability Reps Liaison: We have been organically building INDEVOR/Sustainability reps across National Alumni Associations and need someone with a vision for systematizing the network and info flows and event cross-promotions to and from NAAs. This role would help develop a cross-NAA/Global Club (GC) advocacy agenda for sustainability learning and action.
- Webinar Lead: Our learning agenda includes a bimonthly webinar series on social and environmental impact in collaboration with specific NAAs and Global Clubs (GCs). This role will champion and facilitate webinars with our webinar administrator and NAA/ GC partners to create a repeatable approach to planning, promotion, implementation and feedback.
Above all, we seek leaders who are passionate and committed to mobilizing the INSEAD alumni community toward positive social and environmental impact to imbue our alums with sustainable life and work practices for people and planet. Many of our members are part of the Community Impact Challenge initiative. Many work in NGOs, CSR, impact investing, social entrepreneurship, international organizations, microfinance, while others are interested in bringing sustainable practices to their corporate workplaces.
As part of our vision, launched at INSEAD’s June 2023 Annual Volunteers Meeting, INDEVOR, with CIC as an action arm, serves as hub of a growing alumni sustainability network across NAAs and Global Clubs in alliance with the IAA and school (including the Hoffman Global Institute for Business and Society and INSEAD Climate Journey, and the INDEVOR student club – where it all began back in 1993.
2. Join the Community Impact Challenge (CIC) – StartNOW Oct 2023 Edition!
Dear INSEAD Alumni and fellow climate warriors,We are thrilled to announce that the Community Impact Challenge (CIC) is back and better than ever for its 5th Challenge! It’s time to roll up our sleeves, unite, and embark on a journey towards high-impact climate action. The StartNOW Oct 2023 Challenge invites you to Learn, Act, and Connect as we collectively strive for a more sustainable future.
What is the Challenge about?
The StartNOW Oct 2023 Challenge is designed for INSEAD Alumni who share a deep passion for Sustainability and are eager to connect with like-minded individuals, take meaningful action, and make a positive impact on our planet. Over the course of 4 weeks, you will have the opportunity to:
✅ Learn: Access a wealth of tools and resources to measure your carbon footprint, gaining valuable insights into your environmental impact.
✅ Act: Choose from a selection of 4 Acts that resonate with you the most. This flexible approach allows you to focus on the areas where you are most passionate and committed.
✅ Connect: Engage with a vibrant community of climate impactivists, sharing ideas, experiences, and support as you work towards a common goal.
When does it start?
Mark your calendars for October 9th, 2023, as that’s when the StartNOW Oct 2023 Challenge officially kicks off. This is your chance to be part of a movement that is making a real difference.
How to Register:
Ready to take the plunge and be part of this incredible initiative? Simply visit our website at http://www.startnow.green/ to register and be a part of the StartNOW Oct 2023 Challenge.
Reflecting on CIC’s 4th Challenge
As we gear up for this exciting new challenge, let’s take a moment to celebrate the
achievements of our past participants in CIC’s 4th Challenge, which took place this past
summer. Here are some impressive statistics:
- 139 enthusiastic participants joined forces.
- Participants identified an average emission reduction of 10.6 tons, making strides in areas such as travel and transportation, as well as energy consumption in residential and commercial buildings.
- A remarkable 30% of the 139 participants completed the challenge and earned a well-deserved certificate.
- Volunteer facilitators played a vital role in moderating conversations across 7 WhatsApp groups and leading engaging weekly calls.
These numbers are a testament to the incredible impact that individuals can achieve when they come together with a shared purpose. Let’s make the StartNOW Oct 2023 Challenge even more impactful! Join us as we Learn, Act, and Connect towards a greener, more sustainable future. Together, we can make a world of difference.
3. Register for INDEVOR Week Webinar Series on Jobs in Social & Environmental Impact for current MBAs
Interested in careers in impact? Join us for INDEVOR Week, 2-6 October. Social impact consulting webinars organized by Indevor student club on both campus:
Who: The Bridgespan Group
When: 2 October, 3pm-4pm CET [ask for recording]
Sign up: https://bridgespan.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJEsfuqsqDsjG9Ou-rLSJQ6ahQhv-F_inBl-
When: 3 October, 4pm-5:30pm CET
Sign up: https://forms.office.com/e/YfMNnXAsCi
Impact-oriented Venture Capital
Who: Kamal Hassan, MBA 93D and founder of Loyal VC
When: 6 October, 2pm CET
Where: Amphi Forster & Zoom
INDEVOR x ISIF Mixer:
When: 6 October, 3pm-5pm CET
4. Get 20% off Registration for INSEAD Americas Conference – Nov. 9-11 Sustainable Resilience: Catalyzing Innovations
INDEVOR Global Impact Network members passionate about tackling climate change are meeting at this America’s forum! Come to the conference and use this code for a 20% discount: INDEVOR20. You will learn what it will take to transform your industry with more sustainable business solutions. The conference will be held at the INSEAD San Francisco Hub for Business Innovation from Nov 9-11, 2023. On day one, you will meet brave entrepreneurs betting on the business opportunities that sustainability offers. On day two, explore, learn, and connect with experts from a diverse pool of industries (from construction, plastic, and food to tech) to better understand how small and large players are already transforming their business models to combine prosperity and the environment. On day three, become an agent of change and get active in one of the many workshops featured, including INDEVOR Global Impact Network’s working group at 10:45 a.m. November 11th.
Get Your Ticket(s): https://www.eventbrite.com/e/americas-conference-sustainable-
N.B. On Nov 10th, we will announce the winners of Karel Cool and Ataly Atasu’s INSEAD’s Business Sustainability Awards. We are honored to have the new Dean, Francisco Veloso, and Andreas Jacobs, Chairman of INSEAD’s Board of Directors, join us for an awards ceremony and celebrations.
5. Wake Up Call on Global Food Crisis – and Some Promising Solutions
INDEVOR had a terrific turnout and panel expertise at its September 26th webinar on “Investment and Action to Address Our Global Food Crisis” in collaboration with Community Impact Challenge. For the full recording access here!
For the highlights, read on:
We heard from Robin Millington (NAA UK) and CEO of Planet Tracker about six ways our food system is killing itself by spiking climate change, and we heard of six priority actions that food investors and consumers can take to turn it around – and profit.
We heard from James Stewart (NAA Australia/NZ) and cofounder of Always Carbon, about an engineered solution to advance regenerative agriculture: Biochar, and we heard from Philippe Dongier (NAA Canada), executive director of global NGO CECI, about a nature-based solution to advance regenerative agriculture: Biodiversity tagging and credits.
Finally, Maria Fedorova, from the Hoffman Global Institute for Business and Society spoke of INSEAD’s own climate journey and how they are influencing food systems by defaulting to vegetarian meals, lowering dairy and vetting suppliers.
We thank our attendees, who contributed insightful questions and commentary and our webinar co-promoters: Alumni Engagement, HGIBS, NAA Australia/NZ, NAA Canada, NAA US, NAA UAE and the Global Energy Club. As always, we invite you to join INDEVOR in galvanizing awareness, advocacy and action to advance sustainability for our work, communities and the planet.
INDEVOR Global Club ExCo:
Katie Smith Milway, President, NAA/GC Liaison
Carla Belitardo, VP & Communications
Ebru Carter, Secretary
Ashish Agarwal, Treasurer
Joanne Schante, Student Liaison
Arnaud Bertrand – CIC Liaison
Cintia Tavella, IAA Sustainability