Adi Nagara

What and when did you study at INSEAD? 

I completed the MBA program in 2011 (December)

Tell us about your career to date.

I’ve been a little experimental with my career; now working on a for-purpose business called SwapUp. We rehome secondhand clothes to minimise fashion waste. When my partner gets a bit worried about cashflow, she sends me moonlighting as a consultant, which I truly enjoy as well. Clients are generally more reasonable than her! I have previously worked as an accountant at Macquarie, ran digital communications for a presidential candidate in Indonesia, and bought into a film business – yes I have an IMDB entry.

How can you help the INSEAD community?

If you recently moved (back) to Sydney following an INSEAD program, I’d be happy to offer some tips on settling into the city. I’ve moved here twice and stayed in five distinct parts of it.

What would you like to see more of from the Alumni body and/or the Alumni Association?

At the end of the day, what we learn during the MBA program has a certain “shelf life” so what we truly end up buying into is a network of similarly-minded people. I would like to see more involvement/participation/engagement by older alumni (even if I haven’t figured out yet how to get that from them).

Have you got any hidden talents?

No, I flaunt them! 

What are you passionate about?

I am quite passionate about responsible consumption. I’d love to prove myself wrong on having labeled SwapUp a mere ‘side’ hustle during COVID. It would be nice to see our business grow into other categories beyond fashion. Perhaps one day, we’ll buy fewer new items and reuse more. Better yet, if SwapUp can play a part in getting us there. On my YouTube feed are videos about the study of harmony, applied maths and data, rare diseases, as well as random animal videos of sorts.