Peter Cumming

What and when did you study at INSEAD? 

I studied INSEAD’s Executive Master in Change (EMC) in Singapore (Wave 31, 2021). The degree was a fantastic experience in which I grew and learned personally and professionally. I used it as a platform for a career transition.

Tell us about your career to date.

My investment career started initially with two global firms, AXA and HSBC. These firms gave me a taste of the business around the globe, especially in Europe, SE Asia and the US. I was privileged to take a 3.5-year career break to look after my young son; that was a game changer, and alongside some study, it started the journey to think more about culture and people development. It was a transitional time from being instrumental, creating wealth and getting things done to including a more human element at work.

I re-entered the investment industry as a portfolio manager in alternative assets at a local boutique and then a large firm (VFMC). Over 13 years, I expanded my role by mentoring emerging investors and later shaping workplace cultures. I loved the rewards and risks of the investment markets, the need to stay curious, and wealth creation, but these unofficial roles unexpectedly gave me more meaning and impact.

At a corporate lunch in New York, I decided it was time to set up a coaching firm. I hadn’t anticipated it six years ago, but looking back, it makes sense that my firm would specialise in business model innovation and strategy, leadership and development, and career strategy. Disruption brings change, the need for different behaviours and often, a pivot in career strategy. 

In reflecting on your experience at INSEAD, what are your most significant insights or valuable taekaways that have shaped your professional journey since then? 

The diverse learning environment at INSEAD provided me with an awareness of the profound impact of cultural differences in business and coaching. Furthermore, a standout takeaway was the consolidation of all my previous knowledge in theology and management and the revitalization of my enthusiasm for continuous learning.

Have you got any hidden talents?

I’ve completed two theology degrees, so one emerging talent is the synthesis of managerial thinking and workplace theology. In conjunction with a female theologian, we co-authored two published articles on precariousness and identity in the workplace. I’m co-writing another on paradoxical thinking and ambidexterity for faith-based organisations – an organisational purpose that strengthens the core mission but allows innovation.    

How can you help the INSEAD community? 

The INSEAD community is generous and open, and I like to give back by supporting the New Adventures initiative, which offers support to INSEADers who have recently experienced career shock. I’ve been testing this idea, using active listening and empathy in Melbourne and visits to Sydney. I’ve also co-ran a Career Odyssey day in Melbourne.